Friday, February 28, 2014

Blog #3: What modifications for learners who are exceptional do you see?

As I have said before I am usually there for math, which I feel is usually one of the main subjects that you see many modifications for the students.  The class only has 2 students that I know about that have modifications in math.  When the assignments are handed out, or using the workbook, the students usually only do the even or odd problems.  The teacher usually goes around the room after everything has been handed out and whispers to them which problems should would like them to do.  I really like how the teacher does this because it doesn't draw attention to the kids that need those modifications.

She also has each kid correct their own assignment so the kids don't ask questions.  In listening to the questions the kids have about how they answered their questions I could see on of the children raising their hands saying, we will call them Jack, "Jack didn't do all the problems".  I know for myself at the age, you are trying to fit in and want to be like everyone else.  So anything that gets called out by the other kids as being different can be hard on everyone involved.

I talked with the teacher in private about any problems she may have had with modifications and she said in one of her classes she did have to talk to the class as a whole about it.  She had everyone in class and said that it had come to her attention that people were discussing how a particular student was doing their homework.  She told the class that her the student and their parents had privately talked about the assignments and had worked out a system that worked well for them.  If anyone was having problems they were more than welcome to come talk to her and they could see what could be worked out for them, but from that point forward she didn't want to hear anymore talking or whispering about what some students were doing and others weren't.  She said it seemed to work well for everyone and they didn't have a problem with it the rest of the year.

I like being able to observe how the teacher and the student handle the different modifications and that it shouldn't disrupt class.

No comments:

Post a Comment