I love math and I am lucky enough to be in the classroom during math time. Because of this I get many opportunities to work with small groups of kids that need extra help on their math work. They have been working on mixed fractions and improper fractions, learning how to add and subtract them.
There were about 3 of the kids that sit next to each other that were struggling with making improper fractions into mixed fractions. They had a hard time knowing which was the numerator, denomiator and the whole number. I sat down with the three kids and we worked on different ways to help them remember what number went there. It was interesting how each kid had a different way of remembering. One made up a small saying another one just kept saying it over and over again until he remeber what went where and another just kept doing problems over and over until he got it.
It was very rewarding to see the light bulb go off and see them succeed on their work. I can see how teaching can be very challenging but also very rewarding at the same time. I'm glad I can be there to help these kids since the teacher can't "clone" herself.
No comments:
Post a Comment